Pages

June 20, 2006

Technology is Awesome!

I have not been to a General Assembly meeting. Having worked summers at Camp, it was not ever really convenient. Now we are on a new every-other year approach. I don't know that I will ever get to go.

What I CAN do, though, is watch the general sessions online! I would even be okay with just streaming audio, because I am replacing my regular radio listening with the GA proceedings. I didn't even know what I was watching one day, and it turned out to be the pre-speeches for the moderator elections!

I'm not a fan of the folks that just want to go to a microphone to say things like "we need coffee" or "where is the Bible in the LES system." I know that there is a reason for the open mic time, and that the purpose is things like coffee and technology, but it just seems very out of place. Those are things that could be dealt with in other ways and they come off as complaints.

Right now I'm listening to the debate about the Executive Director of the General Assembly Council. (Elder Valentine from Fourth Pres in Chicago was elected very easily.)

It's also very cool to me that the Advisory Delegates get to vote prior, with no actual power on the outcome, get to cast their votes in advance of the others and that their results are displayed. It's a neat thing from my youth ministry background to see that there is an importance put on their opinions, no matter what the issue is.

If you want to view the things going on in Birmingham, this is the direct link:
http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/

No comments:

Post a Comment