Pages

June 14, 2006

Pot-Luck Lunch - Mmmm. Lunch.

If you found me by google, I apologize that this is probably not what you're looking for. I honestly don't know what people ARE looking for when they google potluck lunch. Post a comment below and let me know what you're after. I have a ton of ideas for both recipes and themes, but don't know what people are looking for! Comment and I'll be helpful!

Update: I have found a good site for recipes. I have not tried any of them yet, but most sound GREAT! Here it is: http://cookingadventure.blogspot.com/

Another Update: I have begun to post recipes that my family has discovered recently. They are available over at http://recipes.mdmonroes.com.

I'm a former Youth Director, and will probably volunteer with you again sometime. I left my last position (paid, though the money went directly back to the youth program) because of my move last summer to Maryland. I don't know that I would take a part-time paid position again, because I don't take "part-time" to heart very well. Needless to say, it was really hard for me to leave.

I had volunteered at my previous church from the day I graduated until the day that I left. It started out as a way to get me away from the Senior Highs to let them develop their leadership skills. I hated the thought at the time, but am very grateful to the Educator who was at our church at the time. I actually thank her for it about every three months when I bump into her. Without her nudge, I would have been one of those famous 18-30 year olds who leave the church!

So, now on to the title of my post - last Sunday we had a congregational pot luck lunch to sit down and hear from a consultant who was hired to help our church discern how to use our newly found mortgage money. It always amuses me that as soon as a church has a mortgage paid off, it's time to go back into debt with a new building or something of the like.

So, the congregation was given a survey on two Sundays, and via email for us slackers who weren't in church those weeks. 75+ responses is a great number from a church our size. In identifying our priorities of ministry, four things came out on top:
Outreach/Mission
Nurturing
Education
Worship

Number four on the list with 8 votes was "Youth." We then looked at priorities for 10-20 years out. Same four, with 10 votes for "Youth."

The question presented to those in attendance was "are these the values that you can all agree on?" Split into groups of 4-5 people and talked for a few minutes, then presented to the room. Each and every group identified Youth and Young Adults as needing to be placed into a priority and value for ministry.


Each year the church hires a Seminarian on a one year basis, and part of their job description is Youth Ministry. I have learned from experience that I don't want to step on toes, but I think it's time that I got back into it. I think I have to learn more about their specific program and see if my volunteering would even be helpful, or if I should find another part of the Church that I can be helpful in.


But, I have been thinking about approaching the Pastor about getting back into Youth Ministry for several weeks now, as the school year is ending and I'm thinking back to summers past. Now is the time for planning next year, mission trips, and a day or two of just plain fun at a theme park. It's the time for reflection on the lives of seniors, and looking forward to the almost-middle schoolers as they arrive. Good times. Great times!

So, I have to figure out a way to talk with the pastor about getting involved while there is still a lot of passion swirling around it. Anny told me that she wants to be more involved in this ministry, if I go through with it, because most of them will not be her students like at my last church.

We'll see. I'm praying about it for a few more days before I bring it up at church.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, got here via google ;) I would've just backed out and tried the next link but you specifically asked me to leave a comment, so here I am!

    My office is having a pot-luck tomorrow and I'm sick of the same thing I always bring, so I'm just bouncing around the internet to see what everyone ELSE always brings, which would probably be new & interesting for me :)

    For the record, my two main pot-luck staples are spinach dip, or teriyaki chicken.

    ReplyDelete