Pages

July 18, 2006

A Web Free Weekend

I'm going crazy, people. Our internet access at home is VERY limited. So limited, in fact, that it has worked for about six hours in the last three days. Those hours were while I was at work, of course, but it worked for Anny and Jon. On Sunday I had to resort to cleaning up my workshop since I could not blog. or even read other people's blogs! In reality, that may be a good thing because I have neglected my shop pretty badly. (I can't even reach my screwdrivers without being acrobatic)

I had the weirdest experience last night. For those who do not know, my 18 year old cousin has moved in with us while he attends college. It's a pretty cool deal, because now I have someone to play video games with, and also someone to help with stuff around the house when Anny is doing other stuff. Having Jon in the house is like having a child. That is not to say that he is a child, but Anny and I have lived on our own for so long, that to add someone ten years younger is like having a child around. We did not do all of the diapers, or kindergarten or such, but we have a young man in our home. We do have a young adult who can tell us directly what he does and does not like so we don't have to guess. (Though, I'm working with him to expand his palate of food. How can someone not like Chinese food??)

So - the weird experience. Last night I helped Jon to set up his first semester of college schedule. (Going to my alma mater to get a jump start on the University classes) I remember saying the exact same things he did about taking everything the first semester. Such aspirations. Since Jon does not have a drivers license yet, we had the special issue of trying to find classes at the Hyattsville Extension Center, which is on my way to work, and only about ten minutes from the house.

Taking into account all of the core classes, we managed to line up daytime classes Tuesday and Thursday, with a couple of evenings, and a few Saturdays. Not a bad schedule, and I probably would have taken it myself if I had realized it was an option. I even managed to talk him out of the Psychology class that met Friday from 5 pm - 9:45 pm and Saturday 9 am to 5 pm. Only met three times, but that's too much time in a classroom at once.

When I was growing up, my father used to tell me he had one reason for having children. Mowing the grass. Yep, healthy relationship. Anyway, I realized early on that having a child to mow the grass did not really make any sense. The earliest you can safely mow th lawn is what, 12 or 13 years old? It's just not fiscally responsible to pay for food, clothing and the such for 12 years to wait for the output. (maybe this is the reason that I now plan our bank account out for a year at a time?) With Jon around, we have someone who can, right off the bat, help in the yard with mowing and stuff.

Okay, in re-reading this post I feel like I'm all over the place. Maybe it's because I'm writing two minutes at a time. Back to work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment