Pages

July 10, 2006

Two Presbytery Pastors in the Washington Post!

HERE is an article from the Washington Post. (The link should work for about two weeks without needing to register to read the Post) The article is about Pastors who are using blogging to reach out to the younger generation on a more personal basis.

When I read the article, I was struck at the idea that people being connected to their Pastor on a daily, personal basis is a new idea. Not knowing our pastor was never an issue, because he lived in town. I think back to the way that we got to know the first Pastor that I can remember, we had a meal (usually dinner) with him on a regular basis, or just ran into him at the grocery store.
That's just not a reality anymore. It does not make sense for a pastor to feel like that have to live in walking distance, because times have changed. It's hard for a family to make time to sit down to dinner with just the parents and children, but trying to schedule your pastor into that also? As it is, churches seem to be struggling to get people to lead the programs that are going on because of other commitments, so why should pastors be held to a different standard? They are parents, aunts, uncles, or grandparents, just like the rest of us.

I'm a fan of being able to connect on a personal basis with more than one Pastor also. I have the privilege of working with several people with "Rev." as their title, so I have a different view than most. I like to hear what other leaders in the Denomination are thinking about the issues facing our Church (capital Church, Church as a whole) as well as in their local churches.

Anyway, I've rambled much farther than I planned to. I have to assume that most of you agree, because you are bloggers yourselves. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment