Pages

May 13, 2006

Plans Change, very quickly

We're not getting an air hockey table right now. Brother and I were going up to pick it up today, but my grandfather died. Priorities shift.

We had expected that things would not be good after he had a heart attack a couple of months ago. His heart was working at 30% capacity, but last week it got down to 10%. He died this morning before my mom could make it up from North Carolina. As soon as she got to my house we turned around and jumped in the car heading to Aberdeen to be with family. We're home for the night, but will be heading back in the morning. There is work to do, both mentally and physically, to get the house up to par.

Viewing on Monday. Haven't had that experience in 10+ years. Not sure when the funeral will be, or where. He has several medals of military honor, but they are looking into whether or not he qualifies for an Arlington burial.

Everyone is in good spirits. Step-Dad and Sister are coming up tomorrow.

I struggle to find my role in my mom's family. On my dad's side, I'm the coordinator. We honestly don't see my mom's family enough to have roles. I think this weekend/into-the-week may be one of communication and reconnection that we need. Now that we all have email, I hope that we can establish better relationships.

We will see.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope that the time together with family is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob -
    1. I'm so sorry about your grandfather and had no idea you have an Aberdeen connection. We'll talk.
    2. Thanks for (finally) commenting on CFSA. You are the coolest.

    ReplyDelete