Pages

September 01, 2006

People Watching is More Fun with Sports!

My boss has season tickets to the Washington Redskins, but could not go to last night's game, so My Brother and I got her tickets! (for FREE!!) Since Jason is a teacher, and I'm a bum who needs/likes his sleep, we ended up leaving at halftime with a score of Ravens a lot, and Redskins zero. It was the final preseason game for both teams, so by the time we left, the guys on the field are third string, so basically I could have played cornerback. If I could run.

So, we spent a good amount of time people watching. I really do think that people watching is better at sporting events than pretty much anywhere else. You have a good mix of people. Some passionate about one of the teams, some just dragged there by their friends. Some there to drink beer, some driven crazy by the noise level.

PW#1 - For those unaware of the NFC East, there are several rivalries, but none bigger than the Cowboys and Redskins. The game we went to was against the Ravens, but there was a 'Boys fan in the next section over causing a ruckus. It was funny because there was a woman several rows in front of him actually SCREAMING back at him, spouting off last seasons records of both teams, and going back into the glory days to spout off championship years and such.

PW#2 - Sports unite people who you would not normally think. The old are teaching the young. There were several people in front of us who obviously did not know each other at 8:00, but were having football conversation by the end of the first quarter. Last season at a hockey game, Fantasy Hockey became the focus of several people around me, so I joined in on their conversation too. (Had to set them straight!)

PW#3 - Completely a personal one here - I saw a pair of Air Jordans that had to have been custom made for a team because they were NEVER released in stores. Tarheel blue soles and red uppers is not a nice combo, but they were unique!

PW#4 - Tailgating. I have never understood this phenomenon. I guess it's cheaper than buying tickets, but there were folks with a TV and grill set up in the parking lot when we went in, and when we left. Again, folks talking to them left and right. But they were in their lawn chairs, probably for the whole game. Part of me think "how cool to meet and greet with complete strangers for hours on end." Part of me thinks "how much cooler to use a flush toilet inside the stadium.

On all fronts a good time. It was my first game at FedEx Field, and my first Redskins game live in a dozen or so years. On a side note - if you're in the are and need to catch up on some hockey this season, let me know. We're going to order the Center Ice package again, so I will get to watch hockey every night of the week, if I'm so inclined!

No comments:

Post a Comment