Pages

August 11, 2011

Back At It!

Alternate Title: ...It's the most wonderful time of the year...!
For starters, our heat wave seems to be a thing of the past. It lasted for the month of July, and then just long enough for a full ten day visit by the In-Laws. Once they fled back to Wyoming the heat went away. Coincidence? I think not...
I am confident that I only feel this way because Abby is not in *real* school yet, but I love this time of year, but I love back to school!
If I'm being completely up front, it is mostly because I am a jealous person and Anny and Abby have had all sorts of fun without me this summer as they passed time! They did several trips to the zoo. A full set of swimming lessons. Trips to the Science Center. More trips to the mall than I can try to count. Two tons of laundry at the laundromat.
Okay, maybe not jealous about the last one, but you get my point. I have been sitting at my desk at work, day after day, as they have been out and about having fun. Even when it was not "having fun" at least they were together. Together without me.
Anny is excited to be going back, I think. She really loves her school and co-workers, which is awesome. This will be just her second year at school in the new district. It is still very funny to see the differences between this small school district from the last ones that Anny has worked at.
To use the word excited would be an understatement for our dear Abby. Elated? Beside Herself with Exuberance? That is a mouthful, but much closer to Abby's feelings about the return of "School Year Normal" around here! She has been talking about returning to Ms. Karen's house for about three weeks. When strangers ask her how her summer has been, she says something along the lines of "great, and I get to go to Ms. Karen's again after Nana and Grandpa's visit!"
As for me, I guess nothing changes. I am still at my desk during the day and thinking about how short the evenings seem to be. (I think that is why Abby only takes one bath mid-week and one on Sunday morning!) Now when I get home I will hear different stories about how my ladies have spent their days - Abby all excited and Anny all "students were students today" types of stories, mostly.
The In-Laws felt like they overstayed and for the last couple of days said "we will leave so you can get back to normal" and I could not wrap my mind around what the means for us. Now that I have written it down, I think I do!
(I will miss the two free weekly concerts that we have been frequenting this summer! We will have to find weeknight alternatives, and quick!)

They both went back on Wednesday, though Abby's daycare is closed Monday due to some weird thing in their school district calendar. I decided today that I will take the day off so that I can have my Abby day for the summer!

2 comments:

  1. I totally get where you're coming from. I'm excited for school to start because it means we go back to having a routine that seemed to really work for us during the school year, but at the same time I'm bummed. It seems like we weren't able to do all the things we wanted to this summer. It was mainly due to the weather we had, summer didn't really start until about 2.5 weeks ago.

    Enjoy your day with Abby.. we are headed to Michigan on Monday and won't be home until right before school starts for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students are often students when they're in school. So I suspect Anny's stories are rife with legitimate stereotyping. :)

    ReplyDelete