Pages

August 14, 2006

Where Do You Sit?

Sunday at church, I noticed that there was a smaller crowd than usual. Once I read that there was a guest preacher because our Pastor is on vacation, it did not surprise me as much. The other thing that did not surprise me:

The rows farther back were as full as usual, it was the more forward rows that were more empty than usual.

The row in front of us was FULL! 12 across. They were all choir members who wanted to sit together, which is nice for those of us who don't pull our weight in making the church sound pretty. (Side note: if you visit a church during the summer, try to sit in front of where the choir folks are sitting. It makes the music sound much nicer) I commented on how far back they were sitting, and one of the guys said "but you're behind US!" Good point.

Why is it that Presbyterians tend to fill from the back? Is it so that visitors have the best view up close? (no) Is it because the sound is better than in the front? (sometimes) I have never understood this, but it's true of almost every Presby church I have been to. We sit closer in at our new church than at our last church, but that's because I sat with the youth, and I could never get them more than three rows in.

My father's reason was always the he was afraid that God would smite him for being a sinner in a church, and that if the roof were to cave in he wanted to be the first one out. I never bought that, partly because Jesus welcomed sinners, and partly because I knew that my dad would probably be too lazy to run.

When I was in high school, the parents of a friend of mine requested that we sit with them, and I did that out of respect and out of appreciation that someone cared to invite me to the front. I thought of it as an honor. Is that what it takes, for one of the front-sitters to invite some of the back-sitters to the front?

I think that it all goes back to Junior High when no one, not even the dorkiest of the dorks, wanted to sit in the front row. The closer to the back, the cooler you felt. I, of course, was one that sat in the middle, off to the side if possible, so that I could see all of the cool kids, and talk to the not-as-cool kids in the front, without committing to either side. (Yes, I've always been a people pleaser)

Is it true of other denominations? Worship in other Religions?

Now that I have written this post, do I need to sit in the front and push myself out of my comfort zone? We've been at our church for less than a year and we sit in the same seats each week. Maybe I'll take baby steps and try sitting on the other side.... I'll update next week. :o)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a PK, so my mileage differs, I think. I spent too many years as a kid sitting alone in the front row (as the default acolyte) or towards the front with my little sisters so that my dad (from the pulpit and my mom (from the choir loft) could keep an eye on us to be intimidated by sitting in the front.

    But as a jr./high schooler, I totally sat in the balcony and passed notes.

    As an adult, I sit wherever. I vary sides and sit as far forward as possible without stepping over people. (Pet peeve: those who sit at the ends of the pews rather than filling in the middles. Haven't they ever been to Disney World? Been late to arrive anywhere?)

    Currently, our usual seat is on the right side, exactly halfway back. They removed a pew to make room for the contemporary worship service's A/V stuff, and my good friend has adopted the extra wide row as "hers" so we join her.

    ReplyDelete